Many Christian Women have mixed emotions when it comes to the word tenacity. The persistence, diligence, dedication, commitment, drive, and determination that accompanies this word can be perceived as intense, impatient, and stubborn. The sad result of that perception is many women shy away from being tenacious and don’t let their tenacity come into full bloom.
This word has been twisted and confused. From passive-aggressive “compliments” about being a Pitbull to people telling you, from a young age, that women aren’t supposed to be like that. This leaves you feeling guilty when you exhibit tenacity and you go back into your shell.
Tenacity is good and biblical when it is Christ-centered.
The apostle Paul, Jesus, Moses, Joseph, Ruth, and Esther all had tenacity and they all used it to feed their determination to follow God no matter what. You are like them in many ways and God is waiting for you to take a step of faith and start that new project or business, finish that book, or start speaking publicly.
To encourage you to tap into your tenacity, here are 7 reasons to reenforce why it’s good. Just think of the places you can go for God’s Kingdom when you embrace this!
1) It’s a Gift from God: God wired you to have passion for Him and His people. Don’t apologize for a gift God has given you. Ever.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. – 2 Timothy 1:7
2) It Helps You to Not Give Up: When you commit and set your mind to the work the Lord has for you, tenacity helps you to use the strength He gives you to keep on keeping on.
I can do all this through him who gives me strength. – Philippians 4:13
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded. – 2 Chronicles 15:7
3) It Helps You to Step-Up: Tenacity helps you to get out of your comfort zone, enabling you to meet the new challenges God is calling you into. Tenacity fights fear and discouragement because you are following through while having a tight grip on Jesus’ hand.
4) It Keeps Your Light Shining Brightly: Tenacity is the fuel that keeps your light shining when everything else around you is dark (Psalm 119:105). When there is a storm, wind, or whatever circumstance, your tenacity helps you to be faithful.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. – Mark 5:16
5) It Gives You Focus: Tenacity keeps you laser-focused on God, which in turn keeps you laser-focused on His calling for you. It helps you to avoid detours and rabbit trails of distraction that interfere with where God wants you to be.
6) It Shortens Your Learning Curve:Along your journey you will get knocked down and get back up repeatedly. But each time you get back up you learn more about the path you’re on, which helps you not to make the same mistake again.
7) It Helps You Help Others: Imagine if Oprah Winfrey didn’t follow through on her dreams. How many people’s lives would have been changed? It’s the same for you. Others are waiting for you and the help you provide.
There you have them. The 7 reasons why tenacity is good. My prayer for you today is that you don’t shrink back from fostering your tenacity and honing it for God’s purpose. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Need help unleashing your tenacity for God’s Kingdom? Sign up for a free 30-min discovery call for my Christian Life Coaching program—click here. I will help get you to where God wants you to be.